Sunday, August 29, 2010

GETTING TO BE SOMEBODY (NARRATIVE)

Everybody wants to be somebody. All of us want to succeed and be recognized. Even nobody wants to be someone...someday.
I also belong to that group of "everybody" and being at the level of the nobodies,I strongly believe that someday I will be someone who will succeed and be recognized.

When i was in my third grade at the Montessori, I have noticed that most of my schoolmates came from a well to do family. I wonder where did they get their cars, sophisticated personal gadgets and lots of money. I asked one of my friend hoe they can afford to have the finer things in life, then she replied, "My father is a successful businessman , that's why". Since then, I want to become rich. One day, I ask my father, "Dad , I want to become rich, what will I do". He told me"If you want to be rich, don't be contented as a typical employee. Your employer will succeed at your expense.Then you will find yourself lacking.Have your own business and be an employer". My tender thoughts were fascinated by the possibilities of making a living through entrepreneurship. Three years have passed and I found myself in front of my Dad asking the second important question in my life. "Dad, what business is bankrupt proof?". My dad simply disclosed, "A funeral parlor!". I am so shocked that time, so I simply reply " what the hell.. okay I'll try to have that business".

During my high school days, many of my friend and even my mentors considered me awkward, strange and indifferent whenever I told the my ambition. I even prevent myself to share my dreams. Until I met Angelica Baello my best friend since 4th. year high school they have family business is one of the popular memorial services in the country "Floresco Funeral Homes" that was the name of their funeral home.



She was amazed that she will meet somebody like me. We even spent our time to look to the coffins. We always hang out to that funeral office. We spent our happy jokes at their morgue and besides the coffins.


One time when we talk about our future. We talk about my ambition to have my own funeral homes, Angel told me, "You are not awkward nor strange, you are an originator and not an imitator". She make so happy when she say that.In life, imitators often failed,but the originators always succeed. I have uncle that have funeral homes he is the founder of "Paradise funeral homes" one time he told me, "Do you really want the nature of our business?" I replied "Yes tito I really do!" he conclude, "Someday, you will be rich".

There are even an incident in my childhood life that my father, due to his natural kindness, was offered by his friend to have his own funeral business. But my dad declined because of noble reasons. When I learned the opportunity, I approached my father and appealed to avail that same fortune in his instead. One Sunday morning, during our congregational mass service, I saw my dad talking to that philanthropist. I take my chance of expressing my point. My dad gave me that chance, then I told to his friend, "Sir, can you help me to set my own funeral service someday?" He was very glad for me and told me, "We will see".

Imagine, I was only at my fifth grade then. But I know my career path. I felt my heart was pounding with joy when I was given an affirmative response on my quest. The third most important question in my life was again addressed by my dad. "Dad, what is the business secret of a funeral homes?". During my third year in high school, I have learned the answer.. "My daughter, you need to be a licensed embalmer. Since then, I desire to be somebody...a competent embalmer. Lately my god father gave me the book entitled "THE ART AND SCIENCE OF EMBALMING" direct from New York.


My loving Tita Rose and Ninang Lulu is scouting on what school will I take my embalming training course when I reach my legal age this October. I have mature circle of friends and boyfriend that appreciates my sentiments. Finally, I want to thank God because He guides me .... by getting to be somebody.


No comments:

Post a Comment